Saturday, August 11, 2007

Lasagna and sliced wrists anyone????

Well another day is in the books and it was quite the day indeed. It started off with the tornado sirens going off at around 4:22 in the morning. Then I headed out to work at around 5am and it was pouring, and when I say pouring I mean POURING!!! For a drive that usually takes 20 minutes to get to town took me about 35 this morning due in part to the 13 minutes it took me to go 2 miles. That is right 13 minutes for 2 miles because it was raining so hard that I could not even see where I was on the road.

So I get to work and when I pull into the parking lot I notice that the parking lot is a bit dark. I then proceed into the building and there is no power........anywhere. We have emergency lights and I was only able to see in the locker room to get dressed because one of my friends is a cop in the city where I work and let me use his flashlight. The good thing about no power you may ask?? Well it means that the crooks do not get to come out of there cells because it is a security issue. So most of us are happy because it means a easy morning, or so we thought. At 7am right when we were going to have to anger the inmates because they were not going to get out.......the power came back on. DAMN!!!!!

So at 720am we have a fire alarm and have to lock the facility down. 7:25 and all becomes well again. On to 7:30........a guy that I had given a razor to was acting a bit strange. Thinking that it was a bit strange because this guy is normally a pretty upbeat guy, I decided to go and check on him. What did I find you might ask yourself? Well I found a sink full of blood splatter and this guy with a bloody razor and a bloody left wrist. So I calmly put some gloves on and took the razor from the man and called a 10-33, which is an emergency call in the jail. Basically it means that when this is called every deputy runs their A** off to get where the emergency is. Long story short is this man says now that he was never suicidal but just wanted some attention. A-HOLE!!! But I guess I can feel good because if I had not checked on him his wounds were deep enough that he could have gone on to the next world. After all of this I was getting "atta boys" from my co-workers throughout the morning, yet I found myself getting more and more pissed once I found out that he was just trying to get attention. I also have a hard time accepting praise for doing what I was hired to do. Safety and Security are the name of the game. Then the rest of the day was uneventful.

I then came home and had some good lasagna and some good wine to unwind from my hectic day.

So I think that is about it for this post. I hope that this message finds all you well and healthy. Congrats to LA who had a baby boy yesterday. She is our daycare and she will be missed for the next couple of months.

Greg

No comments: