Friday, January 4, 2008

Funerals are sad...........

............but not as sad as seeing the ones you love, sad. Yesterday we said goodbye to K's grandma and it was a long day. I kept getting asked if I was doing ok, and I always said yes. The truth is, I didn't know grandma that well. It wasn't long after K and I started living together that grandma started to have problems, and eventually went into the seminary home. We went to see her, although not as often as we probably should have. I really did like her, and I think she genuinely liked me. In the end though, her death did not affect me like it did K and the rest of the family. What was hard yesterday was to see K, and KT, and others in the family shedding their tears of sorrow. It hurt more than anything to see ones I care about be filled with so much sorrow.


I think there were some good things to come out of this though. We got to see family that has not been here in a long time (even if the circumstances were not the best). I somehow feel closer to some of K's cousins, like Meg and Ash and K, that I don't get to spend much time with. I hope they can make it up more often, because I think they are wonderful and fun people. I would love to get to know them better.


Because grandpa is a vet, grandma was buried at the federal cemetery in Ft. Snelling up in the cities. Death is never fun, but while we were waiting I had to take some pics. I have never been here before and had only observed the cemetery from the road. I was overwhelmed by the number of people who are spending their days in this hallowed place now.






And this was not even a good start to show you how many graves are here. There are SOOOOO many more. It makes it even more sad to think of all the people that have come to this same place, for the same reasons that we did.

We will miss grandma. She was a firecracker of a lady and was very loved.

Greg

No comments: