Friday, January 18, 2008

And THERE is the kick in the nuts.......

WARNING!!!! THIS POST WILL CONTAIN THE F BOMB!!!!
Normally I do not try to swear in my posts, but FUCK am I pissed.

Well this week went great with training and I had a lot of fun. In doing this, I regained a lot of perspective, and my overall happiness with my job increased. At the end of the class today, after all the students had left, the training Sergeant was talking with me. He told me that I had come a long way as a deputy, and that he was proud of the changes he saw. He was there to train me when I went through the academy almost 3 1/2 years ago, and he was also there to teach me when I went to academy for Field Training Officer class. It was nice to hear him say this and I felt even better when MY training Sergeant said the same thing. I was even told that I could come back anytime to help with an academy by both my Sergeant and the other one.
What I did not expect is when my Sergeant told me that the Sergeant that I work for while in the jail no longer has confidence in me. I was told that he thinks that I do not try and don't care when I am at work. Well thanks. I had an incident for which I was disciplined for last June. I admitted my wrong, took my punishment, and now I should have a clean slate. I have worked my ass off for the last 6 months to correct some issues I had, and truly become a better deputy and see the "big picture" like I was always being told.
I guess this was not good enough for my Sergeant in the jail though. I am just so fucking angry right now I could scream. I really like my job, and I am seriously looking at this as a possible career. This news today, however, pretty much was a kick in the balls. I really don't think I can work for my jail Sergeant now that I know he has no confidence in my and is no longer going to help my out or guide me when I make a mistake. As he put it, "I am not going to help him when he fucks up, he can just hang himself. Eventually he won't be here anymore." Nice thing for someone to say when he is suppose to be there to help you if you need it huh?? So on Monday I am 99% sure I am going to be writing a letter to the Captain requesting to be transferred to another crew.
What a great way totally destroy everything positive that I had gained and built throughout the week. Happy weekend to me I guess.
Greg

8 comments:

Chastity said...

Your sergeant sounds very passive aggressive. I'm sorry you're having to go through this. I imagine that would be a really tough working situation now knowing what you know.

everyone needs a ride! said...

I know you aren't lurking. As for the topic of being slammed in the privates by the sarg., what a spineless prick. Maybe he should be talking to you about this instead of telling someone else. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to confront him in a very calm matter about this before you write to your captain. Of course you don't want to make it an arguement but just a private and calm conversation about the situation. I don't know if this would be good or not because I'm not sure who this person is. If I knew, I would be able to fully advise or discourage this idea.

Christy said...

That sucks ass. I would definitely try to get switched to another sergeant in the jail. What is the point of working hard if you aren't being taken seriously by your current sergeant?

Nellie said...

I'm sorry baby. This sucks ass. I agree with Scott, that maybe you should approach Sarg. before going to the captain. I would jus make sure it was something he said in the first place. Ask him (calmly) why he said it. Then ask him how he thinks you could continue to work for someone who has no faith in you as an employee.
If he can't come up with a reasonable answer then I would certainly ask to be switched to another crew. Don't worry about the schedule change... we can work it out with daycare.
Is it funny that I am giving my hubby advise on his blog, rather than just talk to him!? Oh well, he ran to the store for me... so I thought I'd give him some advise.

TEACHBROECK said...

wow! I am sorry that happened...turns your guts insideout thinking about it. Nothing sucks more than doubt.
Good luck resolving it...until then STAY WARM!

Kt said...

That totally sucks, Bro! I am sorry that this is happening to you now. Especially after you have done everything that has been asked of you and you are now being rewarded for your progress!

I guess the upside would be switching to my side of the schedule and having the same days off, so maybe we could all get together and have a family night.

I also agree with Scott and K. I think you need to talk with the sarge before you talk with the capt.

AM said...

A) I dont think that other seargant should have shared that info with you.

B) I think you SHOULD transfer to a different team. Obviously he's not looking out for your best interests now and would probably hinder you if you wanted to get a promotion or new job.

The Father of Five said...

Try not going into the meeting with your Sgt to "confront" him (or her).

Go into the meeting to "talk to" your Sgt about your concerns.

If you start it off confrontational (even if just in your mind), it will end up confrontational.

If your Sgt's are anything like my Sgt's - they come across hard core - but when you go to them with a reasonable attitude, you usually get a reasonable attitude back... If you go to them confrontational, then you get confrontational back.

I think if you get into a more "I'd like to clear this up - what can I do to get that done" sort of mind set - I imagine it will go a lot further to clearing up any issues you may be having... I know that how it works for me!

Remember to take the "High Road".

Well, regardless of how you approach the situation... Good luck! I hope it turns out for the best!

David - the "Father of Five".