Monday, November 19, 2007

Geese

It is now 0821 and I am up and have already done 2 loads of laundry, washed all the dishes, and hung some more christmas lights that I have been putting off for the last 2 weeks. I think this will be the last of the lights as I do not wish to have a lot to take down in the spring. I will soon be laying back down for a nap.

When we were in the cities yesterday, you would not believe the amount of geese flying around! I grew up in Hayward, WI and love to hunt the ducks and geese. I have to say that geese are definitely my favorite bird to hunt and also the goose call is the only call I can actually blow. I can blow a duck call but usually end up sounding like a dying cow. So I see all these birds flying around and I feel the need to point them all out to K. She could really care less and I am sure was annoyed by the end of the day hearing "geese high and on the right". This is the first year in probably almost 10 years that I have not hunted. I sold my shotgun last summer (in hopes of eventually getting the one I really want) and I have decided to spend the time with E while she is young. I have friends at work that are gone all the time duck and goose hunting when they are not at work. Either that or other co-workers that have husbands that hunt all the time (and they get stuck having to take care of the kids) and they are miserable. I just can't imagine doing that to K, so when E is a little older I will start hunting again and will take her with me. I really look forward to teaching her to love the outdoors/blind time as much as I do. This can then be part of our daddy/daughter time.

Work was uneventful Friday and Saturday this weekend, except for the drunk who came in and kept calling me a spider F**ker. I am not sure why or what a spider F**cker is, but that is what I was. I had last night off which was nice. I will pay for this however with the OT I am working this week. I know I bitch about OT a bunch, but ultimately it will ensure that we have a nice christmas and also it has helped us get out of the HUGE hole we were in financially.

I think that I am now going to go lay down for a bit like my raging headache is telling me to do. Maybe another post later?

Greg

2 comments:

Christy said...

We put our Christmas tree up this weekend, and I was in charge of the lights. I have to admit, the tree looks pretty scary. I hope your house looks better.

I think its awesome that you have decided to stay home and help K with the baby, instead of pursuing your own hobbies. Very good hubby.

The Father of Five said...

Wow, in many ways our lives are very similar!

I enjoy hunting quite a bit. I do not get out as much as I'd like to, but that comes with the responsibilities of a family (as you elude to..)

I try to make it out for a weekend duck / grouse hunt, and a weekend deer hunt each year. (I am still working on my 2007 duck hunting post for my Dad's Outdoor Journal blog.)

This year was the first year since (circa) 1988 that I did not go deer hunting.

It's a long story, and since I usually blog about my hunting adventures, I will (eventually) post about why I did not deer hunt this year - but like you talk about - it has a lot go do with OT, Sleep depravation, a busy home schedule, and time apart from my family. Maybe that is why was the recipient of some "good karma" and have The Wild Turkey in the freezer for Thanksgiving this year!!

Keep watching - I'll explain my decision on the outdoor journal (after I finish the duck/grouse post).

Hey, if you get a chance, check out these guys too... I bet you'll really enjoy their blogs too! The King of Clubs (a co-worker) and The Ethereal Garage (a really great outdoor blogging father. He hunts a lot - but involves his kids! When I'd rather be out hunting, and can't swing it - I stop by Ethereal Garage!)

Stop by, and tell 'em I told you so!